More than half of consumers don’t even know what is currently “on trend,” and a majority are experiencing trend overload
SALT LAKE CITY, June 05, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Every time you turn on the TV or flip through a magazine, you’re bombarded with all of the latest, hottest trends. This is especially true with the craze of home renovations and decorations – but are all these trends really impacting how consumers shop? Overstock.com, Inc. (NASDAQ:OSTK) wanted to find out. Today, the online retailer revealed the findings of its inaugural “Not Another Trend Survey” and virtual reality experience highlighting the different ways consumers shop.
“We found that consumers feel like there are so many trends out there that they don’t even know where to start – it’s overwhelming,” said Kelsey Byrne, Director of Private Label Brands, Overstock.com. “What really matters is embracing your own personal tastes and creating a home that reflects your unique style!”
The survey – highlights of which can be found below – follows Overstock’s recent announcement of 17 new, exclusive Private Label brands, which the company developed to help consumers shop the way they want to – not the way trends tell them to. Brands introduced through the new selection include farmhouse for the everyday from The Gray Barn, clean mid-century statements from Carson Carrington Home, and affordable traditional style from Laurel Creek for living rooms, bedrooms, kitchens and more. All styles can be shopped now on Overstock.com and through its mobile app, recently named best retail app of 2018 by Media Post, so shoppers can see how new items fit in with their current furnishings to reflect their unique style.
Not Another Trend Survey Findings:
The Anti-Trend Consumer
Most survey respondents reported that they desire a unique look and weren’t paying any attention to trends. The quest for the perfect home almost always included mixing and matching to make the look come to life.
- In general, 65% of consumers don’t care about trends at all
- 73% don’t think being “on trend” is essential to creating their dream home
- 89% said they buy what they like, even though it may not be “on trend”
- 82% don’t want their home to look like everyone else’s
- 75% of shoppers said they choose decor by mixing and matching different styles or looks – to create their own unique style
Overwhelmed by Trend Overload
Consumers feel like there are too many options, with most sharing that the sheer number of trends available on the market actually makes it harder to find what they like. And while trends like hygge and Pantone Color of the Year may dominate media and design sites, they’re not well-known to consumers.
- 67% shared that there are too many trends to even know where to start
- 63% of respondents said there is too much information out there when it comes to home styling and decorating ideas
- 56% feel like they simply can’t keep up with trends; just when they style to one trend, a new one comes out
- The top style elements people are most sick of seeing are: 1) animal prints, 2) faux fur, 3) white kitchens, 4) inspirational quotes as wall décor and 5) Millennial Pink
- 63% don’t even know what hygge is
- 42% don’t know about Pantone’s Color of the Year
Millennials – The Trend-Stressed Generation
Some turn to nostalgia, others use technology to create their style, nearly a quarter haven’t even heard of millennial pink, but the majority of millennials feel anxious about creating that “perfect look”.
- Millennials are more likely to feel stressed due to the pressure to look perfect (52% vs. 38% of the general population)
- 24% of Millennials have never even heard of Millennial Pink
- 49% want more granite options
- 30% wish they could find more of bean bag chairs
- 67% of Millennials are more likely to agree that applications or technology that overlay furnishings into their homes are key to creating their unique style
For more information and additional survey results please visit: Overstock’s “Not Another Survey” Results.
Overstock.com, Inc. Common Shares (NASDAQ:OSTK) / Series A Preferred (Medici Ventures’ tZERO platform: OSTKP) / Series B Preferred (OTCQX:OSTBP) is an online retailer based in Salt Lake City, Utah that sells a broad range of products at low prices, including furniture, décor, rugs, bedding, and home improvement. In addition to home goods, Overstock.com offers a variety of products including jewelry, electronics, apparel, and more, as well as a marketplace providing customers access to hundreds of thousands of products from third-party sellers. Additional stores include Pet Adoptions and Worldstock.com dedicated to selling artisan-crafted products from around the world. Forbes ranked Overstock in its list of the Top 100 Most Trustworthy Companies in 2014. Overstock regularly posts information about the company and other related matters under Investor Relations on its website, http://www.overstock.com.
O, Overstock.com, O.com, Club O, Main Street Revolution, and Worldstock are registered trademarks of Overstock.com, Inc. O.biz and Space Shift are also trademarks of Overstock.com, Inc. Other service marks, trademarks and trade names which may be referred to herein are the property of their respective owners.
This press release contains certain forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933 and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. Such forward-looking statements include all statements other than statements of historical fact. Additional information regarding factors that could materially affect results and the accuracy of the forward-looking statements contained herein may be found in the Company's Form 10-Q for the quarter ended March 31, 2018, which was filed with the SEC on May 8, 2018, and any subsequent filings with the SEC.
SOURCE: Overstock.com, Inc.
A photo accompanying this announcement is available at http://www.globenewswire.com/NewsRoom/AttachmentNg/78e253f7-dbc6-4a88-bace-96aed31d1b68